How much do you know about magic?
Take this Quiz to find out.
1) Does a witch generally travel by
2) What is a witch’s familiar?
a) her animal companion and helper
b) her husband
c) another member of her coven
3) Is an incantation a
a) Bad smell
b) Magic potion
c) Some magic words
d) A witch’s rob
e) A knob on the end of a broomstick
4) Complete the quotation
Double, ____ toil and trouble
Fire Burn and _____ Bubble
5) For extra points, name the writer of these lines.
6) For extra points, name the play it comes from.
7) How many witches in the play?
8) People found guilty of being witches in England and Scotland during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries could be legally burnt at the stake
9) What is a warlock?
a) A male witch
b) A chariot witches ride to war
c) A lock on a magic spell book
d) A spell to keep out intruders
10) What would a witch use a cauldron for:
a) Cooking sausages
b) Making potions
c) Writing out spells
d) Bathing her familiar
11) Witches and Wizards in Fiction: Name the Book and the Author (there may be the odd magician or enchanter too…)
a) R on a B by JD
b) The Ws by RD
c) CL by DWJ
d) P by KU
e) W the W
f) HP and the PS by JKR
g) The M’s N by CSL
h) C by RC
i) LotR by JRRT
j) The W of O by FB
k) The WW by JM
l) A W of E by U Le G
m) Ms W by TB
12) Magical creatures – test your knowledge
1) Leprechauns come from:
2) Boggarts are
a) Ghosts or poltergeists
c) A kind of genie
3) A genie lives in a:
4) A griffin is half lion and half
4) Complete the quotation Double, double toil and trouble Fire Burn and cauldron Bubble
5) William Shakespeare
9) b – but perhaps a and d too!
10) Room on a Broom by Julia Donaldson, The Witches by Roald Dahl, Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, Pongwiffy by Kay Umansky, Winnie the Witch, Harry Potter by JK Rowling, The Magician’s Nephew by CS Lewis, Catweazle by Richard Carpenter, Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein, The Wizard of Oz by Frank Baum, The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy, Ms Wiz by Terence Blacker, A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin
11) a) Ireland b) Ghosts or poltergeists c) lamp d) Eagle
Emma Barnes: author of “Jessica Haggerthwaite: Witch Dispatcher” published by Strident Books